Sunday, February 17, 2013

Challenge Yourself- Sketch it!

The amazing Georganne at LilaLoa posted her new Challenge to her fans, Sketch it! Post your sketches along side of the finished cookie product. So I did. Maybe I can win some cool drawing stuff!

As far as my designing goes, I usually sketch out an idea. Depending on both time and how comfortable I am with an idea in my head, I may take a design to color or just idea of colors, and final sketch or not.

For instance, I felt pretty comfortable with the ballet cookies I had done a little while back so rough sketches were all I did. Just an idea of what I was going to do and most of the actual design work came literally as the icing came out of the tip!





 
But for a "Jake and the Neverland Pirates" inspired set, a little more design planning was involved. 


 These were all first drawn out very loosely, but maybe I spent too much of my past career in Clean-up but I just had to tie them down some more. It really isn't time lost since I then cut out the sketches, taped them to index cards and popped them in my KopyKake. 


 




The treasure chest had a little sketch with a rough idea but I had to draw up a larger one since I hand cut the dough. I just then "improvised" as I decorated. :)



Again, since I still and probably will always feel most comfortable with a pencil, I like taking most of my drawings as far as I can. Much easier to erase a drawing than to scrap off icing and start again. Having said this, sometimes it's impractical to draw everything out before decorating a cookie- but then again, some really cool things happen when you just go with the "icing" flow!
Happy decorating y'all!



~Krista
















8 comments:

  1. I have always loved your cookies, since I first saw them, but they are just even better because you can draw so incredibly well!!! You are a true talent, and people who get your cookies must be the happiest people in the world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the kind words!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the kind words!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I have just recently come upon your blog, and your work is beautiful and inspiring! You are a wonderful artist and so creative. I love your pirate cookies but that is probably because I have all boys. The ballet is pretty too, wish I had a use for those :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krista, your cookies are awesome looking. Your work is fabulous and I love the Ballet and Neverland pirates. I bet they are as delicious tasting as they look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Cooking Course eBook of the year. Healthy recipes, chicken recipes and cooking recipes from around the globe. Forget expensive culinary schools.

    >>> The Good Cooking Class | Cooking School
    Or,
    >>> http://www.mycookingcourse.com/cookingrecipes.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cookies are looking different from one another and the way of thinking is mind blowing.
    Send Flowers Ahmedabad

    ReplyDelete

More to Like

More to Like