Sunday, December 15, 2013

Day Seven: My Favorite Tools of the Trade: Part One


Just a quick post tonight with a few of my decorating tools. First up, my favorite rolling pin.



Joseph Joseph Adjustable Rolling Pin Plus, 16.5-Inch, Grey
From Joseph Joseph


I have used a french rolling pin, a standard wooden rolling pin, and even a teflon rolling pin. This adjustable rolling pin has become "MY" rolling pin of choice!
With this, you can never roll dough any thinner than a desired amount. The pin comes with 1/16, 1/6, 1/4, and 3/8 inch removable discs.  I roll my cookies at 1/4" thickness. Not too thin but thick enough to make them a little soft and chewy. 
This rolling pin can be purchased HERE.

*this is one of the only pictures of my cookies from the side*


Now on to icing. HOW do I spread out icing or pop those dreaded bubbles? With these little tools:


ONE of the 11-Piece Pottery Tool Set


This little guy came in a set of pottery tools that I purchased for my daughter. When I saw it was just what I needed.  I use it to spread icing to the edges of piping and even popping bubbles. It is longer like a pencil and I personally think that is why I feel more comfortable with it than a tooth pick.


* Note: Do not use any tools that are being used or have ever been used on anything other than food related products. I solely use this for my cookie decorating. Please no silly emails. ;)
The set that this comes in can be purchased online HERE.




But if its a good bubble popper you are looking for, this is it.

PME Modelling Tool: Scriber Needle



This, almost needle point scribe is by far my must have while decorating. From popping bubbles, to moving those small-out-of-place icing strands, to cleaning up my lettering, I can't live without my scribe!



*Trust me, I would not have been able to do this intricate lace without my trusty scribe!*


Thanks for stoping by ~Krista

4 comments:

  1. Hi, loving all your fantastic tips! I've searched for help with my air bubble issues high and low. I've tried every recipe for RI and every method for making it too. I let it sit, shake it, bang the bowl, mix slowly, and whatever else you can do but I still get bubbles! After filling the cookie, I'll give it a little shake, tsp lightly on the table, then try to pop the bubbles. And, I'll have dozens of tiny bubbles. I use a needle and go all over the icing with it then try to pop individual bubbles. I always get little marks left behind from where I popped a bubble with the needle. These marks look just as bad as a bubble. Anything you suggested to help me with this? I'm at my wits end. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are liking the series Donna. I am thinking that there may be too things…. 1. If you made you icing a little thinner, you would have more time to pop those bubbles before it dries. 2. Are you using the whisk or paddle attachment? I use a paddle, however there are lots who use a whisk with little problem. I would also decrease the beating time. I find if I beat it longer and on higher speed of course, I get more bubbles.
      I find my bubbles happen in my flood icing mostly and if I use it too soon after mixing it and putting it in the bottle. I let it sit and hour or so. Just before i am about to flood, I take the top off and just squeeze the bottle to "pop" some of the darn bubbles.

      I am not sure if I helped you or not :) But I wish you luck!!

      Delete
    2. I have had some of the same issues as Donna, but probably not as bad. May I ask what icing recipe you use? I am trying different cookie & icing recipes trying to find my "go to" recipes. I am going to try your sugar cookie recipe I saw on another post, but am wondering about your icing recipe? Thanks!!

      Delete
  2. That is the first time that I have seen that rolling pin! It looks great! This is a great list!

    ReplyDelete

More to Like

More to Like